syncrepl missing/ignoring {md5} passwords?

Dear all

We are setting up an OpenLDAP 2.3.34 directory server structure and I have started using syncrepl to produce replica servers. Everything is going OK, except that userPassword's crypt'd using {MD5} rather than {crypt} do not find their way to the slave servers. The {crypt} passwords get there fine, however.

Master slapd.conf bit:
#
# syncrepl setup
#
overlay syncprov
syncprov-checkpoint 100 10
syncprov-sessionlog 100

Slave slapd.conf bit:
# syncrepl setup
#
syncrepl rid=123
        provider=ldap://directory.a.com:389
        type=refreshAndPersist
        searchbase="dc=a,dc=com"
        scope=sub
        bindmethod=simple
        binddn="cn=syncuser,dc=a,dc=com"
        credentials=#######

Can anybody offer any guidance? I'm sure I've just made a simple config error, but a lot of searching and playing has not revealed anything, so it would be appreciated.

Cheers
Ade