Re: Logging question

Ski Kacoroski wrote:
Howard Chu wrote:
Ski Kacoroski wrote:
Howard Chu wrote:
matthew sporleder wrote:
On 6/13/06, Ski Kacoroski <ckacoroski@nsd.org> wrote:
Or you could look into the access log overlay.  :)

That may be a good solution. Define two separate log databases, and separate the machine and user data into two databases, using subordinates to glue them together. Use an accesslog overlay on each main database, logging to separate log databases.

Of course, the info in the accesslog may not be detailed enough for debugging purposes. You'll have to review the log schema and decide for yourself if it's adequate for your needs.

Matthew & Howard,

Ok, I have this working nicely with the following:

# Main logging database
database hdb
suffix   "cn=nsdlog"

# Hosts logging database
database hdb
suffix   "cn=nsdhostslog"

# Hosts database
database hdb
suffix   "ou=Hosts,dc=nsd,dc=org"
overlay accesslog
logdb   "cn=nsdhostslog"
logops  all

# Main database
database        hdb
suffix          "dc=nsd,dc=org"
overlay accesslog
logdb   "cn=nsdlog"
logops  all

Tricks to getting it working were:

1. Comment out the accesslog overlay configuration until you create the base object in the log databases or else slapd crashes

Which version of OpenLDAP did that? The accesslog overlay will create the log's base object automatically on startup.

2. Be sure you have a rootdn and password set up on the log databases so you can create the base object

You just need the rootdn so that the accesslog overlay will have write privs on the log database.

3. Do not use the subordinate option on the main dc=nsd,dc=org database. When I did this, the main database log picked up all the activity on the hosts database. The downside to not using the subordinate option is that I cannot do a recursive search from dc=nsd,dc=org into the ou=hosts branch (this is fine with me). It is interesting though that if do:

See the note in slapd.conf(5) about ordering of the overlays (at the subordinate keyword). If you exchange the order then the accesslog will only affect a single database, and not the entire glued tree.

--
 -- Howard Chu