Re: Logging question

matthew sporleder wrote:
On 6/13/06, Ski Kacoroski <ckacoroski@nsd.org> wrote:
Hi,

How do folks handle logging and debugging on a busy ldap server without
being able to filter the logs into different files.  In particular, I
have a server that holds both machine and account data.  The machine
data is updated quite often via a cron job run on the machines
(cfengine) and swamps what is happening from the user side.  My first
approach was to separate out the machine logs into another file, but I
could find nothing to filter on.  My second attempt is to put the user
data and machine data into two different machines, but this is a waste
of resources as a single machine can easily handle the load.  As near as
I can tell, separate databases on the same machine will not help out
either.  So I am wondering what other folks do for debugging on busy
machines - e.g. how do you filter the logs so you can see the part you
are interested in).

I parse the logs into a hash of hashes of arrays with perl and then get the info I need. In your case, you would probably have to split that hash of hashes of arrays into an even more complex data structure.

Or you could look into the access log overlay. :)

That may be a good solution. Define two separate log databases, and separate the machine and user data into two databases, using subordinates to glue them together. Use an accesslog overlay on each main database, logging to separate log databases.

Of course, the info in the accesslog may not be detailed enough for debugging purposes. You'll have to review the log schema and decide for yourself if it's adequate for your needs.

--
 -- Howard Chu