Re: subtree and children dnstyles

Admin Guide, 5.3.1:
  To add or delete an entry, the subject must have write access to
  the entry's entry attribute AND must have write access to the
  entry's parent's children attribute.

Don't confuse the children attribute with the children scope.

And, to answer your scope question, the difference between
the subtree and children scopes is the base object.

Kurt