Re: LDBM VS. BDB on OpenBSD 3.9

--On Wednesday, May 10, 2006 3:19 PM -0500 Marc Suttle <marc.suttle@anidirect.com> wrote:

List,
	The subject in a way sums it up.

Out of the box I have installed the following binary packages from the
latest release of OpenBSD 3.9:

cyrus-sasl-2.1.21p2 RFC 2222 SASL (Simple Authentication and Security
Layer)
db-4.2.52p8         Berkeley DB package, revision 4
openldap-client-2.3.11p4 Open source LDAP software (client)
openldap-server-2.3.11p4 Open source LDAP software (server)

Configured slapd.conf and it is using database bdb.  However when I
start up slapd I get:

#  /usr/local/libexec/slapd -u _openldap -g _openldap
Unrecognized database type (bdb)

Should I just use ldbm which I know works or get the ld stuff done to
get BDB working?  It is a LDAP database that will have about 500 entries
and very low activity. It is just for enrollment purposes.  If I SHOULD
use BDB anyone know how successfully register it on OpenBSD 3.x when
installed from packages?  It also needs to work after a reboot.

LDBM is a problematic backend that is being removed from OpenLDAP with the 2.4 release. I think it would be well worth your time to use BDB. I will note that OpenLDAP 2.3 support auto recover on reboot, so assuming you have properly configured OpenLDAP (checkpointing, etc), you can reboot without too much issue. Of course, you should always shut down slapd cleanly before rebooting so that anything in the cache that hasn't been checkpointed yet is written to disk...

I will note, however, that the people responsible for packaging OpenLDAP for your distribution appear to be woefully behind in their duties, as the current OpenLDAP release is 2.3.21 (and 2.3.22 will be out in a few days). I would advise using the latest release of OpenLDAP, as hundreds of bugs, some critical, have been fixed since 2.3.11 was released.

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITS/Shared Application Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html