RE: Slurpd high availability

> Jennifer Abel wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I have started looking into slurpd for server replication.
> We have a
> > small database, about 65000 entries, and want it to be
> available all
> > of the time.
> >
> > I am going to put 2 different servers into two different locations,
> > and they need to be mirrors of each other. It looks like
> slurpd is the
> > answer. It looks like it would handle a slave going down well, but
> > what is supposed to happen if the master goes down?
> >
> > The archives that I found say that multimaster is a bad idea. Any
> > thoughts on why?
> >

> Many, but they're already in the archives too, keep reading.
>
> As solutions go, slurpd is a poor one and will eventually be removed
> from OpenLDAP. Use OpenLDAP 2.3 with syncrepl. For your "mirror"
> requirement, there is a "mirrormode" feature in  CVS/OpenLDAP
> 2.4 that
> addresses this need. It is also available in current releases
> of Symas
> CDS if you don't want to build your own source.
>
> --
>   -- Howard Chu
>   Chief Architect, Symas Corp.  http://www.symas.com
>   Director, Highland Sun        http://highlandsun.com/hyc
>   OpenLDAP Core Team            http://www.openldap.org/project/

Thank you Howard. I will look into syncrepl and "mirrormode". I didn't
know that that solution exsisted.
I am sorry if I posted this to the wrong mailing list. I am new, and it
seemed like the right place.
Thanks again for information and for giving me stuff to look into. Your
response was much appreciated.

Cheers,
Jennifer