Re: troubles with replication using sync-repl

--On Thursday, April 13, 2006 9:16 AM +0200 Guillaume Rousse <Guillaume.Rousse@inria.fr> wrote:

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

--On Wednesday, April 12, 2006 3:42 PM +0200 Guillaume Rousse
<Guillaume.Rousse@inria.fr> wrote:

Hello.

I'm having troubles with replication using sync-repl.

I first configured my provider and consumer servers as explained on
http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin22/syncrepl.html.

I would advise not using syncrepl with OpenLDAP 2.2.
OK, let's use slurpd then. What about a warning in syncrepl
documentation then ?

I would also note that:

2.2.23 is an ancient and known to be very buggy release.  If you are
going to use 2.2, you should be using 2.2.30.
Unfortunatly, I can't do it without manually installing it, and losing
distribution coverage. I'd prefer to stick with this one for
maintainance sake. Otherwise I may as well switch to 2.3 branch.

You could of course always install a custom built version in some other path (say /usr/local), or you could download Symas Corp.'s CDS, which will install into locations other than the libraries provided by your distro.

Here's the basic story: If you continue to use the very ancient and known to be very buggy releases of OpenLDAP, you aren't going to get any support on your issues from the OpenLDAP people. So you have a choice:

Use the recommended versions of OpenLDAP so that your problems can be addressed

or

Use the versions released by your distro, and complain to them when you have problems.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer