Re: ldapadd error

--On Tuesday, April 11, 2006 5:50 AM -0500 Adam Williams <awilliam@mdah.state.ms.us> wrote:

Steve Feehan wrote:

Create an ldif file with the following content:

dn: ou=People,dc=mdah,dc=state,dc=ms,dc=us
ou: People
objectClass: organizationalUnit

Assuming the file is named people.ldif, you add it via the command:

ldapadd -x -D "cn=adam,dc=mdah,dc=state,dc=ms,dc=us" -W \
    -h roark.mdah.state.ms.us -f people.ldif

I hope I got all that right. ;)

--
Steve Feehan

Sorry, I'm getting the same error with that.

cat people.ldif
dn: ou=People,dc=mdah,dc=state,dc=ms,dc=us
ou: People
objectClass: organizationalUnit

ldapadd -x -D "cn=adam,dc=mdah,dc=state,dc=ms,dc=us" -W -h
roark.mdah.state.ms.us -f people.ldif
Enter LDAP Password:
adding new entry "ou=People,dc=mdah,dc=state,dc=ms,dc=us"
ldap_add: No such object (32)

Did you create "dc=mdah,dc=state,dc=ms,dc=us" ?

And as a side note, "ou" stands for Organizational Unit. Most places do not consider "people" one of their organizational unites, and I doubt yours does either. ;) I would suggest using "cn".

You may want to look at:

<http://www.stanford.edu/services/directory/openldap/configuration/>

specifically the

<http://www.stanford.edu/services/directory/openldap/configuration/base-ldif.html>