Consumer retry with delta-syncrepl

I'm noticing that a slapd consumer (OpenLDAP 2.3.20) located at the
end of an Internet connection with high latency and rather low bandwidth
(somewhere along the lines of 64kbit) isn't retrying connections to
the slapd provider. My configuration is

syncrepl rid=120
        provider=ldaps://ldap.example.com:636/
        type=refreshAndPersist
        interval=00:00:15:00
        retry="60 10 600 +"
        searchbase="o=example"
        scope=sub
        schemachecking=off
        logbase="cn=accesslog"
        logfilter="(reqResult=0)"
        syncdata="accesslog"
        bindmethod=simple
        binddn="cn=syncrepl,ou=accounts,o=example"
        credentials="secret"

The last 'syncrepl_message_to_op' in slapd'd log is dated 19:00 hours,
(I checked at 07:30 the next morning). Stopping the slapd consumer and
restarting it, causes replication to start up again.

Is there any magic I can apply on the consumer slapd (such as giving it
a signal) to get the replication to kick in again?

Thanks & regards,
	-JP