Re: slapd fails after timezone change

At 10:41 AM 3/24/2006, John Madden wrote:
>Indiana's going through the transition of switching to DST, the easiest way to
>accomplish this of course being switching the timezone of your machines to
>EST+DST.

Your assertion that this is the "easiest way" is quite debatable.
The easiest way, I would think, is to let your operating system
handle the transition.  Most modern operating systems do so quite
nicely.  I cannot recall the last time I had to take any action
to affect a transition to or from DST.  (I just set my hardware
clocks to GMT and let the operating system (kernel and/or
userland) convert as necessary to produce local time.)

Mucking with your system clock, especially moving time backwards,
can cause all kinds of problems.  In slapd(8), I would expect
problems in replication subsystems and possibly BDB.  Simply
don't unnecessarily muck with your system clock, and if you
have to muck for some reason, be careful.

- Kurt