Re: upgrade 2.2.x -> 2.3.x, sync repl replica compatibility?

Jed Donnelley wrote:
OpenLDAP,

We run an OpenLDAP master with some 5-6 sync repl replicas. Several of our replicas are on clusters with only loosely coupled administration. Currently all these servers (master and slaves) still run some versions of OpenLDAP 2.2.x. We would very much like to upgrade to 2.3.x as we've had some stability problems with the 2.2.x servers.

What I'm not sure about is how to go about the upgrade. All these servers are compiled from source, so there's no problem upgrading them individually. However, it would be a serious problem trying to synchronize upgrading all of them at once.

Does anybody have any experience or might be able to tell me or point me to docs (which I failed to find) if there's an upgrade path (e.g. master first, slaves first, any order OK) that can avoid having to restart all these servers simultaneously on the new software?

If you're running recent enough 2.2 code, any order should be fine. Logically speaking, since you probably have many consumers and only a few providers, the path of minimal impact is to change consumers one at a time and change the provider last. Of course, it may make sense to upgrade the least stable systems first, regardless of consumer or provider role.

--
 -- Howard Chu