Re: Password encryption (crypt) incompatibility

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 10:23:48AM +0100, Smoltok wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have configured and installed a replica on an OpenLDAP 2.3.4 with
> --enable-crypt option.
> The master is on another place on an OpenLDAP 2.2.x.
>
> The synchronization is correct but we have a problem with password.
>
> I can't connect in command line or in java with an user DN and password
> to my server. ( "invalid credential" ).
> If i created a password on my own server with slappasswd and insert it
> into my entry and it works.
>
> So is it possible that between version 2.2.x and 2.3.4 there is such an
> incompatibility ?
>
> Maybe the problem is somewhere else...

Yes: if you are indeed using CRYPT passwords, then the password hash
is computed by the crypt() function in the system library, so the
incompatibility may be there.
With a different hash algorithm, you should not see this problem.

Best Regards,

Timo Felbinger