Re: Hardware specs for OpenLDAP

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

--On Friday, March 17, 2006 2:26 PM -0500 Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com> wrote:

I am certainly not an expert but your volumes look very modest.

2) You want 2 disks for optimal performance, so that you can separate the BDB log files that are generated from the BDB database. I would about consider this a requirement for any high performing directory.

The use of a separate disk for BDB transaction logs is not just for performance, but also for reliability. I.e., if there's a failure on the BDB data disk, the database can be recreated from the transaction logs. The chances of two disks failing at the same time are extremely remote, but if you place both on the same disk then you're forced to go to offline backups to recover from a failure.

--
 -- Howard Chu