OpenLDAP 2.2 and db4 under RHEL4 on Xen 3.0

Has anyone on the list got OpenLDAP 2.2 and bdb working on any recent
RedHat distro on a Xen 3.0 domU?  I've put in a special non-nptl glibc
that xen provides, I've recompiled the db4 libraries to disable nptl and
posix mutexes, and enabled the old x86 assembly mutex stuff.  I still
can't get bdb to work.  Before the db4 rebuild, slapcat reports the old
dreaded "DB_PRVIATE environment" problem.  Now after the rebuild it
reports "unable to initialize mutex: Function not implemented."  After
using LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19, it reports the old DB_PRIVATE problem
again.  How does one compile db4 to work under RHEL in a xen 3.0 domain?

Michael