Re: openldap bench / stress free tools

--On Wednesday, March 08, 2006 10:31 AM +0100 Jehan PROCACCIA <Jehan.Procaccia@int-evry.fr> wrote:

I will add that one ... but I'am wondering why openldap seems to repond in 2 times, I mean in the logs (reproducted at the end of that mail) it show 1st op=1 SEARCH RESULT tag=101 err=0 nentries=50 and an other (2nd) op=2 SEARCH RESULT tag=101 err=0 nentries=50 text= It it the usual way openldap reponds ?, it cuts results in chunks of 50 entries (here an ldapsearch on my directory with the filter on "la* "gives # numEntries: 124)

OpenLDAP responds two times because outlook issues two search requests. That is very clear from the logs.

Here is the first search:

Mar  8 10:11:09 calaz slapd[4639]: conn=1 op=1 SRCH
base="ou=people,dc=int-evry,dc=fr" scope=2 deref=3
filter="(&(mail=*)(|(mail=la*)(cn=la*)(sn=la*)(givenName=la*)(displayName
=la*)))"
Mar  8 10:11:09 calaz slapd[4639]: conn=1 op=1 SRCH attr=cn commonName
mail roleOccupant display-name displayname sn surname co organizationName
o givenName legacyExchangeDN objectClass uid mailNickname title company
physicalDeliveryOfficeName telephoneNumber
Mar  8 10:11:09 calaz slapd[4639]: <= bdb_substring_candidates:
(displayName) index_param failed (18)
Mar  8 10:11:10 calaz slapd[4639]: conn=1 op=1 SEARCH RESULT tag=101
err=0 nentries=50 text=

Here is the second search.

OpenLDAP does not by default break searches up into chunks of 50, either. Outlook is either requesting 50 results at a time (maybe paged results?) or you have
50 entries as the search limit on your server.

And the time to perform an ldapsearch doesn't necessarily give you the best indicator of performance at all. For example, I performed a search last night that took some 2 minutes to run the first time, and only seconds the second time. Why? Because the second time, the search and its results were *cached*. I assume of course that you have "cachsize" and "idlcachesize" set in your ldap server to enhance performance...

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITS/Shared Application Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html