Local socket permissions

Hi,

I'm using OpenLDAP 2.2.13 (RHEL4). According to slapd(8), I can use a
LDAP URL extension "x-mod=xxx" to specify the permission of the IPC
socket. However when I try this it does not work:

[root@xxxx ~]# slapd -h "ldaps://
ldapi://%2fvar%2frun%2fldapi/????x-mod=777"
[root@xxxx ~]# ls -l /var/run/ldapi
srwxr-xr-x  1 root root 0 Mar  5 17:49 /var/run/ldapi

When I browse through the code, i see that support for setting socket
permissions is commented out. The relevant commit is here:
http://www.openldap.org/devel/cvsweb.cgi/servers/slapd/daemon.c.diff?r1=1.257&r2=1.258

The comment in the source is "don't muck with socket perms".

Is this feature supposed to work? If not, is there another way to
specifiy the default socket permissions. The default permissions at the
moment only allow root to connect.

Regards,
Geert