max concurrent connections

Hello,

I heard that openldap is limited to 1024 concurrent ldap-connections
from clients, while other directory servers can handle
millions of them. Is this true?
If yes, can I define low connection timeouts without problems at the
client-side? I'm planning a service that includes ldap for storing
addressbooks, but I don't want to set up several servers from the start,
just because certain clients may be opening more than one connection at
the same time and thus consuming all available ldap-connections on the
server.

Regards
Marten