Re: slapd circularity?

Ryan Lovett wrote:
 I'm having trouble strong-binding Mac clients to an OpenLDAP server and I
think its due to my confusion about the SASL configuration. I'm seeing the
message

slap_ap_lookup: str2ad(cmusaslsecretCRAM-MD5): attribute type undefined

This message is harmless.

in the slapd output. It looks like slapd is being querried for the
cmusaslsecretCRAM-MD5 attribute while I want slapd to use the userPassword
attribute where I've stored CRYPT passwords. (from an NIS conversion)

SASL strong authentication mechanisms require access to a plaintext password. Crypt will not work.

 For this to happen, do I configure SASL via /usr/lib/sasl2/slapd.conf to
use an ldapdb storage?

No. The ldapdb docs explicitly say never to do this. slapd has its own SASL auxprop mechanism built in and doesn't need anything else.

--
 -- Howard Chu