Re: newbie still: ldapdelete: why won't it.

In message <7.0.1.0.0.20060215123600.039b4350@OpenLDAP.org>, Kurt D.
Hi All,

Trying to delete an entry, so here is the results of search

jdw@thoth:~$ ldapsearch -x -b 'dc=shadshed,dc=com' '(objectclass=*)'

# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <dc=shadshed,dc=com> with scope sub
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# shadshed.com
dn: dc=shadshed,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: dcObject
objectClass: organization
o: Shadow Robot Company
dc: shadshed

# admin, shadshed.com
dn: cn=admin,dc=shadshed,dc=com
objectClass: simpleSecurityObject
objectClass: organizationalRole
cn: admin

# jdw, People, shadshed.com
dn: uid=jdw,ou=People,dc=shadshed,dc=com
uid: jdw
cn: Mark Worsdall
objectClass: account
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: top
objectClass: shadowAccount
shadowLastChange: 13193
shadowMax: 99999
shadowWarning: 7
loginShell: /bin/bash
uidNumber: 1010
gidNumber: 1010
homeDirectory: /home/jdw
gecos: worsdall,,,,,,

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 4
# numEntries: 3

Want to delete the # jdw, People, shadshed.com entry.

Tried:

ldapdelete -x -w Fl0Cabs -D cn=admin,dc=shadshed,dc=com "dn: uid=jdw,ou=People,dc=shadshed,dc=com"

but got

Delete Result: Invalid DN syntax (34)
Additional info: invalid DN

I thought that the dn (Distinguished name) would be: dn: uid=jdw,ou=People,dc=shadshed,dc=com

So I pasted that onto the end of ldapdelete line.

The command (ldapdelete ) and don't use SASL (-x) and this is the password (-w Fl0Cabs) for the admin user who we are going to bind with
(-D cn=admin,dc=shadshed,dc=com) and delete this dn entry:
uid=jdw,ou=People,dc=shadshed,dc=com"

Have I complete mis-understood?
Zeilenga <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org> writes
See the example in ldapdelete(1)...

what this: ldapdelete "cn=Delete Me,dc=example,dc=com"

which becomes:

ldapdelete "cn=Mark Worsdall,dc=shadshed,dc=com"

SASL/DIGEST-MD5 authentication started
Please enter your password:
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Internal (implementation specific) error (80)
additional info: SASL(-13): user not found: no secret in database

So then I wold do -x to not use sasl???

ldapdelete -x "cn=Mark Worsdall,dc=shadshed,dc=com"

Delete Result: Strong(er) authentication required (8)
Additional info: modifications require authentication

So I thought you want a password???

ldapdelete -x -w Fl0Cabs "cn=Mark Worsdall,dc=shadshed,dc=com"

ldapdelete -x -w Fl0Cabs "cn=Mark Worsdall,dc=shadshed,dc=com" ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)

and I give up and post back. :-)

--
Mark Worsdall
http://www.shadowrobot.com/  need a hand??