Re: BDB fragmented

Eric Irrgang wrote:
It looks to me like DB 4.4 has a db->compact method that doesn't seem to
have been available in earlier versions.  I would think that this could
come in handy for collapsing btrees into fewer levels.  (back-bdb uses
btrees, right?)  This ought to reclaim storage and performance, even when
there haven't been any entries removed, shouldn't it?

Has anyone played with this yet or would it be worth experimenting with?

It will probably reclaim storage; it will not necessarily improve performance. It could just as easily have no effect, or a negative effect.

First of all, if no entries have been removed, then there is nothing to reclaim.

When entries are removed, if the number of data items on a data page falls below the minimum items per page, BDB will automatically do a reverse-split and join items to another page. If a page is emptied as a result, it will get recorded on the DB's free list. If there are few enough nodes to allow the total depth of the tree to be collapsed, then BDB must already do so; that's a requirement of the self-balancing nature of a Btree.

The performance aspect comes in here - if you're going to be adding new elements to the DB anyway, then it will be faster to reuse a page from the free list than to ask the OS/filesystem for a brand new page.

None of this is really relevant for the OpenLDAP-software mailing list; feel free to discuss the benefits of db->compact on the BerkeleyDB newsgroup if you want to followup.