Re: OpenLDAP 2.3 - second master as hot standby?

> The idea is to have the load balancer redirect queries and updates to the active
> master, and use syncrepl to push or pull changes to the hot standby, so that in
> case of a failure the load balancer can switch to the hot standby with only
> minimal interruption to service.

You don't need a load balancer to do this, heartbeat with a failover IP is
sufficient.  The only caveat is that the sycnrepl'd slave can't accept writes, so
in the event of a failover, while your users can log in, they can't change their
passwords. Now, you could push a config change (removing the syncrepl stanza) and
a slapd restart as part of your failover process to avoid this as well...

FWIW, I'm currently running the first half of this setup, but I don't particularly
want any writes being committed in the event of a failover anyway.

John

--
John Madden
Sr. UNIX Systems Engineer