Re: assert control <draft-zeilenga-ldap-assert>& add

 From the I-D,
  The control may be attached to directory update operations
  (excepting Add) to support conditional deletion, modification,
  and renaming of the target object.  The control may not be
  attached to the Add operation as the target object does not
  (yet) exist in the directory.

The fact that an error wasn't returned when you attached the
control to an Add request should be considered a bug.

Kurt