RE: Linking against a specific Berkeley DB install

From: Kurt D. Zeilenga [mailto:Kurt@OpenLDAP.org]

> At 11:14 PM 11/30/2005, Bowie Bailey wrote:
>
> >I am trying to compile OpenLDAP 2.3.11 from source on CentOS4.  I
> >have the rpm for db4-4.2.52-7.1 installed and also a source build
> >of BerkeleyDB in /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.4.
> >
> >How do I get OpenLDAP to link with the bdb 4.4?
>
> BerkeleyDB 4.4 was released after OpenLDAP 2.3.11, hence
> it shouldn't be surprising that OpenLDAP 2.3.11 does not
> contain support for Berkeley 4.4.
>
> Try OpenLDAP 2.3.13.

I wasn't aware that it was linked so tightly to the db version.

I would prefer to stick with stable releases, which is why I was using
2.3.11 in the first place.  I dropped back to Berkley 4.3 and was able
to compile and run.

I had some people tell me that Berkley 4.3 is not recommended with
OpenLDAP for performance reasons.  They suggested that I stick with
4.2.52.  Any comments on that?

Bowie