Re: Getting Started

At 10:35 AM 11/27/2005, Leslie Tighe wrote:
>Would you know if there are an admin tools for openldap?

You can administrate OpenLDAP Software using your favorite
text editor to edit slapd.conf(5) and ldap.conf(5) files,
restart the server using standard command line tools like
kill(1), etc..  No special tools are required.

You can also choose to use the configuration backend (cn=config).
In which case you can use ldapmodify(1) or other general purpose
directory clients to administrate slapd(8).  This is discussed
in the admin guide.

There may be tools provided by others to administrate OpenLDAP
Software.  I suspect they would be listed in the OpenLDAP
FAQ, or at least locatable by searching the web.  (Note that this
list is not the appropriate forum for discussing these tools.)

If instead you were asking about tools to administrate directory
information, OpenLDAP Software provides a few command line
tools one can use.  Or you may prefer to use one of the many
tools, some quite application specific, to administrate directory
information.  Some of these are listed in the FAQ.  (Note that
this list is not the appropriate forum for discussing such
tools.)

>Also, is there a basic login/password that the system comes with?

No.  See the Admin Guide <http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin/>
for how to set up a basic directory server with OpenLDAP Software.
The Quick Start chapter is a good place to start.

Kurt