Re: Do overlays affect the speed of OpenLDAP?

--On Saturday, November 26, 2005 2:01 PM -0500 Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com> wrote:

If our LDAP server is not going to expressly make use of overlays,
is it to our advantage to disable them at compile-time?

Likewise, is there any harm in enabling misc back-ends, if there's
no immediate plan to use them?

I want to assume that introducing these things, even if unused, at
worst will merely make the image larger, but not slower.

Is that correct?

Well, I would say it was correct if they were always loaded when you ran slapd. But since you have to specifically load the things you are going to use, I'd say no, this isn't correct. At least if you build them as loadable modules. Even if not, they aren't enabled unless you configure them in slapd.conf or back-config, so they don't tend to add much bloat.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer