Re: sizelimit evaluated before ACLs?

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
I think the general assumption was that if the client
has some search permission (check by test_filter
prior to calling send_search_entry), it has read on
"entry". Now, with overlays and other things happening,
having send_search_result indicate whether or not an entry
was actually sent (or possibly the number of entries
sent?) would be a good idea.

Since send_search_entry() maintains the actual counter of number of entries sent, and has access to the sizelimit in the operation structure, it would make the most sense for it to do the test and return a SIZELIMIT_EXCEEDED result to the caller when appropriate. Then no callers (backends or overlays) need to worry about testing the limit, they just need to handle the non-success return codes. (Which they do already.)