Re: searching with back-sql (openldap-2.2.28) and mysql

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 21:29 +0100, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 19:38 +0000, Seb James wrote:
> > Here is the query which backsql_srch_query() contructs:
> >
> > SELECT DISTINCT ldap_entries.id,persons.id,'inetOrgPerson' AS objectClass,
> > ldap_entries.dn AS dn FROM ldap_entries,persons
> > WHERE persons.id=ldap_entries.keyval
> > AND ldap_entries.oc_map_id=?
> > AND ldap_entries.dn LIKE ?
> > AND ( LIKE 'MITYA%')
>
> this is NOT valid SQL, as far as I can tell.
>

> > The problem is in the last line. I don't know enough sql to tell if this
> > could be valid sql on another rdbms, but if I change the last line to
> >
> > AND (cn LIKE 'MITYA%')
> >
> > Then the query will run.
>
> That's how it should be.
>

> > I note that mysql isn't terribly well used with back-sql, or at least
> > the maintainers of back-sql don't have enough time to test with mysql.
> >
> > Is there anything I can add to my metadata to have the 'cn' added to
> > that search query, or do I need to hack backsql_srch_query() in search.c
> > in the back-sql code?
>
> I suggest you file an ITS.  You say (and it appears from the data) that
> this happens with the examples that come with OpenLDAP; this definitely
> looks like a bug, whether or not specific to (that version of) MySQL.
>
> Unless you're using an "ancient" version (anything before 2.3.12 ;) you
> should file an ITS <http://www.openldap.org/its/> and provide as many
> details as possible about how to reproduce it (e.g. what search
> parameters did you use?).
>
> I'll note in advance that back-sql in OpenLDAP 2.2 is not maintained, as
> it changed so much when moving to 2.3 that digging out issues would be a
> real pain, unless they're really trivial.  OpenLDAP 2.3 comes with a
> (yet limited) suite of tests that helps tracking issues and regessions;
> you need to manually run it, as it requires some non-trivial work to
> setup the RDBMS and the ODBC.

Ok, this is useful information that back-sql has changed a lot between
openldap 2.2 and 2.3. I'll upgrade my openldap version and see how that
works.

regards,

Seb James

--
Embedded Software Foundry Ltd. 'Embedded Linux Development'
Tel: +44 (0)845 4580277   Web: http://www.esfnet.co.uk/