Re: BDB 4.4 is released

Jon Roberts wrote:
Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
For those interested, BDB 4.4 has been released. Preliminary support for building OpenLDAP against BDB 4.4 exists in HEAD.

At Sleepycat's request, Symas Corporation has been testing BDB 4.4 for several weeks. Initial testing found BDB 4.4 to be slower than BDB 4.2 or BDB 4.3 when doing 'db_load' commands and running slapadd on various size databases.
Evaluating slapd's performance under BDB 4.4 is still underway.

Please share results when you can.

For now, given the reduced performance relative to 4.2, the only reason I find it interesting is that it finally supports cache segments larger than 4GB. This has been somewhat of a hindrance on our testing on large 64-bit deployments, still not sure if that win offsets the other losses. There are still a number of types and structures that are tied to 32 bits, which is somewhat annoying.

--
 -- Howard Chu