RE: Installation Troubles openldap / openssl

--On Wednesday, November 09, 2005 8:19 PM -0600 "Nelson, Gregg" <Gregg.Nelson@CO.RAMSEY.MN.US> wrote:

Thank you for your response.....

I've tried many different options for --prefix on both the openssl
and openldap calls to >configure< and for --openssldir on openssl's
configure<. I probably have ssl components in several
different directories by now.

I decided to skip the openssl install since it has run each time
I execute my openldap install script and see if I can point
openldap's >configure< to the location of openssl's components.

The openssl include library I specify on the call to openldap's
 >configure<  (/usr/include/openssl) looks like this:

# pwd
/usr/include/openssl
# ls
aes.h       conf.h     evp.h       opensslconf.h  rsa.h        txt_db.h
asn1.h      crypto.h   hmac.h      opensslv.h     safestack.h  ui_compat.h
asn1_mac.h  des.h      krb5_asn.h  ossl_typ.h     sha.h        ui.h
asn1t.h     des_old.h  kssl.h      pem2.h         ssl23.h      x509.h
bio.h       dh.h       lhash.h     pem.h          ssl2.h       x509v3.h
blowfish.h  dsa.h      md2.h       pkcs12.h       ssl3.h       x509_vfy.h
bn.h        dso.h      md4.h       pkcs7.h        ssl.h
buffer.h    ebcdic.h   md5.h       rand.h         stack.h
cast.h      engine.h   objects.h   rc2.h          symhacks.h
comp.h      e_os2.h    obj_mac.h   rc4.h          tls1.h
conf_api.h  err.h      ocsp.h      ripemd.h       tmdiff.h

This directory appears to contain the header >configure<
says it can't find: "ssl.h". Upon examination, the ssl.h file appears
to be a standard header file with 1854 lines.

Here is the actual call to >configure< as output by my installation
script:

+ env CC=gcc CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/include/openssl/ LDFLAGS=-L/usr/lib/
./configure  --with-tls --with-cyrus-sasl --enable-wrappers
--enable-crypt --enable-bdb

And the statements issued by >configure< that deal with ssl availability:

checking openssl/ssl.h usability... no
checking openssl/ssl.h presence... no
checking for openssl/ssl.h... no
checking ssl.h usability... no
checking ssl.h presence... no
checking for ssl.h... no
configure: error: Could not locate TLS/SSL package

Any further thoughts?

I suggest looking at the config.log file, and see what it says. In general, I'd also suggest building everything to go into /usr/local, so you don't overwrite existing installations of software.

<http://www.stanford.edu/services/directory/openldap/configuration/> may also be of some help to you.

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITSS/Shared Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html