Installation Troubles openldap / openssl

I am at my wits end....unfortunately not a long journey.

I am trying to install openldap with openssl.

Here are my openssl install lines:

        ./config shared --prefix=/usr/local --openssldir=/usr/local/openssl
        make clean; make; make install

Here are my openldap install lines:

       export CPPFLAGS='-I/usr/include/openssl'
       export LDFLAGS='-L/usr/lib'

        ./configure     --prefix=/usr/local \
                        --with-tls \
                        --with-cyrus-sasl \
                        --enable-wrappers \
                        --enable-crypt \
                        --enable-bdb

        make depend; make test; make clean; make; make install

I've tried at least a dozen other variations suggested by web pages
I've googled all to no avail.

On every configure run I get the following:

checking openssl/ssl.h usability... no
checking openssl/ssl.h presence... no
checking for openssl/ssl.h... no
checking ssl.h usability... no
checking ssl.h presence... no
checking for ssl.h... no
configure: error: Could not locate TLS/SSL package