Re: asynchronous event notification?

--On Thursday, November 03, 2005 11:22 PM -0500 Phillip Rhodes <mindcrime@cpphacker.co.uk> wrote:

Hi all, I have a question regarding OpenLDAP and asynchronous events.
Does OpenLDAP currently support
any form of event notification?  I spent a lot of time
Google'ing and searching the archives of this list
and saw some old discussion from back in 1999 on this
subject, but nothing current.

In case it matters, what I'm seeking is the ability
to receive notification of events such as: adding
an entry, deleting an entry, modifying an entry, etc.
The purpose of this would be for integration with
other software... ex: I add a "user" to OpenLDAP,
and want to programatically update the "user" database
of another application to make it aware of that user, etc.

I see that Novell's JLDAP class library seems to provide
some event notification related classes, but I gather
from the comments in the sample code that this only works
with Novell eDirectory and not OpenLDAP.

If someone could enlighten me on whether or not this
is possible with OpenLDAP, I would be very grateful.

Also, if it's not currently possible, does anyone know
if such a feature is something which is planned / desired / acceptable to
the OpenLDAP developers? If it doesn't exist yet, I might be interested
in helping add such a thing.

We do this @ Stanford, by having the process that writes to the OpenLDAP directory server post an event after a successful completion. AFAIK, OpenLDAP supports no such thing as you desire, and I don't think it is part of any LDAP related RFC. Of course if you wrote such a thing, I imagine contributing back might be welcome, but how do you write such a thing to work with a variety of event vendors? ;)

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITSS/Shared Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html