Re: Entries in LDAP dir seem to sporadically become unreadable

--On Monday, October 31, 2005 11:12 AM -0800 George Farris <farrisg@mala.bc.ca> wrote:

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 10:21 -0800, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

--On Monday, October 31, 2005 9:51 AM -0800 George Farris <farrisg@mala.bc.ca> wrote:

> There was a thread about loosing indexes earlier this year.  We are
> experiencing the same problem that every once in a while the ldbm
> database must be re-indexed by stopping slapd, running slapindex on the
> database and then starting slapd again.  Was there ever a resolution to
> this problem?
>
> We are having to doing this about once per day on Ubuntu Breezy,
> OpenLDAP 2.2.26-3
>
> What would be the reason the ldap server looses indexes?  We have not
> modified the slapd.conf file in a long time, have not added or deleted
> any indexes.
>
> Any tips greatly appreciated.

You are using ldbm, and then wondering why you are having problems? :)
Seems somewhat explanatory to me...  I suggest upgrading to one of the
more  stable and robust backends, like hdb (OpenLDAP 2.3.11 or later if
you want  really good performance from it) or bdb (any of OL 2.2 or 2.3).

Well ldbm worked well for me for over a year with Fedora Core 2, however ok, I can do that. Can you suggest the best way to migrate all the users information, passwords etc over to a new database? I believe slapcat doesn't dump all the information, something about timestamps.

It would be great to have everyone show up the next morning and just
login without ever knowing what took place.

I know I can run slapcat to dump to ldif and then reload but maybe there
is a better way????

slapcat is supposed to dump everything necessary, if it isn't, that would be a definate problem... And using slapcat as part of your migration strategy is something I would use. It sounds like you don't have an environment to test migrating in before applying it to production, it may be worthwhile to find a small box you can dump linux on and verify that your data migrates cleanly, and that your new slapd.conf is functioning (Also remember to create and configure a DB_CONFIG file).

You may find:

<http://www.stanford.edu/services/directory/openldap/configuration/> of some use.

--Quanah

--