ACLs in OpenLDAP

Questions on ACLs

1) When does ACL checking take place? (what is the architecture for access checks)

Scenario - I submit a search request - the request results in a set of dns - does the server then pass that set of dns through an access check filter ie - does it examine the ACL for every resultant dn, see whether the user who submitted the request has access rights to the object and filters them out...

2) When I create a child object in a container does it inherit portions of the parent ACL?

Thanks

Krishna