Re: how to best create a new slave server?

--On Tuesday, October 18, 2005 12:22 PM +0200 Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@wpkg.org> wrote:

What is the best and fastest way to create a slave OpenLDAP server?

I mean, what should one do if he/she has a master OpenLDAP and several
slaves, and want to create another slave?

So far I was doing it more or less like this:

1) stopping OpenLDAP on the master,
2) tarring/bzipping /var/lib/ldap to ldap.tar.bz2,
3) adding a new replica to the slapd.conf on the master
4) scp-copying ldap.tar.bz2 to a new slave
5) uncompressing ldap.tar.bz2 to /var/lib/ldap on a new slave
6) starting OpenLDAP on the master
7) starting OpenLDAP on a new slave

Which works perfectly, but I feel it's not just a "right way" (it would
perhaps fail if OpenLDAP/database versions differ too much).

So I tried a "better way":

Personally, I'd stop a replica with identical indexing to the new one, and then copy over all the *.bdb files and the BDB log files, then restart both the replicas (assuming syncrepl for replication). This (on a large DB with plenty of indexing) is faster for me than slapcat/slapadd. There is nothing "wrong" with this approach.

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITSS/Shared Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html