installation problems

Hi all,

            I am having two problems while installing openLDAP.  To give you
a synopsis of what's happened so far... I have successfully installed the
latest version (in this order) of openSSL, Berkeley DB (4.2.52.4), and Cyrus
Sasl.  I found that I should not be installing the latest version of BDB
because of stability issues, but before finding that out, I had installed
the latest.  I removed all the files associated with the 4.3.x version and
now get the following error:

# export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include/ -I/usr/local/ssl/include/openssl/
-I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/include/"
# export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib/ -L/usr/local/ssl/lib/
-L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib/"
#./configure --with-cyrus-sasl --disable-cleartext --enable-spasswd
--enable-slurpd --enable-bdb
checking for sys/un.h... yes
checking for openssl/ssl.h... no
checking for ssl.h... no
configure: warning: Could not locate TLS/SSL package
configure: warning: TLS data protection not supported!
checking for _beginthread... no
checking for pthread.h... yes
checking number of arguments of gethostbyaddr_r... 8
checking for db.h... yes
checking for Berkeley DB link (default)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb43)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb-43)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb-4.3)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb-4-3)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb42)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb-42)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb-4.2)... yes
checking for Berkeley DB version match... no
configure: error: Berkeley DB version mismatch

            My other problem comes when configuring the openLDAP package.
It keeps saying that I don't have SSL/TLS installed, but I do.  In fact it
is installed in its default location (/usr/local/ssl).  I have tried to
install using the -with-ssl (or whichever parameter it is), but nothing I do
seems to assist the configure script in finding the ssl header or library
file.  I have also tried modifying the CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS to include the
/usr/local/ssl/include/openssl directories.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave Henderson