Re: How to raise the open file descriptor limit for slapd?

David Landgren wrote:
It is Linux as it happens. We added

*       hard    nofile  4096

to /etc/security/limits.conf at the same time that we added

    ulimit -n 4096

to the init.d script for ldap. All this did was to change the syslog error message from

  daemon: accept(6) failed errno=24 (Too many open files)

  daemon: 1024 beyond descriptor table size 1024

which to me smells like a recompilation is required. If there's another way I'd love to hear about it.

Yes, you need to recompile slapd/daemon.c with an appropriate value #define'd for FD_SETSIZE. You probably need to explicitly #undef it first to remove the default value that glibc uses.

--
 -- Howard Chu