Re: How to raise the open file descriptor limit for slapd?

matthew sporleder wrote:
You should be able to set ulimit values in your daemon's init script,
or set them system-wide.

Not quite. I have already adjusted ulimits for slapd. Before, I specified nothing, and started receiving

Sep 29 15:26:30 ns1 slapd[3244]: daemon: accept(6) failed errno=24 (Too many open files)

We then added

	ulimit -n 4096

to the top of the init.d startup script and restarted slapd. All that did was to change the message. Now I get

Oct 3 06:27:02 ns1 slapd[11703]: daemon: 1024 beyond descriptor table size 1024

Hence my suspicion that I do need to recompile slapd to resize the descriptor table. If this is not the case, then I'd love to know what the fix is.

Thanks,
David

_Matt