Re: Backglue + global rwm hang

> Hi,
>
> I'm still trying to solve a problem that was already discussed here.
> http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200509/msg00054.html
>
> According to ITS#3971 comments, I've tried to instantiate rwm globally:
>
> overlay         rwm
> rwm-suffixmassage       o=Foo,ou=Domains dc=foo,dc=ru
> rwm-suffixmassage       o=Bar,ou=Domains dc=bar,dc=ru
> # and so on, about 10 directives
>
> # Real database
> database        bdb
> directory       /var/lib/ldap/foo.ru
> suffix          dc=foo,dc=ru
> rootdn          ...
>
> # "Mount" it under o=Foo,ou=Domains
> database        relay
> suffix          o=Foo,ou=Domains
> relay           dc=foo,dc=ru
> rootdn          ...
> subordinate
>
> # Another one
> database        bdb
> directory       /var/lib/ldap/bar.ru
> suffix          dc=bar,dc=ru
> rootdn          ...
>
> # "Mount" it under o=Bar,ou=Domains
> database        relay
> suffix          o=Bar,ou=Domains
> relay           dc=bar,dc=ru
> rootdn          ...
> subordinate
>
> # and so on, about 10 databases
>
> # Finally:
> # Dummy db to provide root to subordinates
> database        bdb
> suffix          ou=Domains
> directory       /var/lib/ldap
> rootdn          ...
>
> (What's this all about? I'm trying to propagate search based at
> ou=Domains to several databases, in order to achieve interoperability
> with legacy software that supports searching only one base DN for its
> users.
> Subordinates + relay/massage seems to be the best solution for now.)
>
> ldapsearch'ing -b o=Foo,ou=Domains gives correct results (the same as
> searching dc=foo,dc=ru)
> ldapsearch'ing -b ou=Domains makes slapd eat 99% CPU and gives no
> output, even if there is only one real database (say, dc=foo,dc=ru).
>
> Tested on both 2.3.7 and HEAD (as of 03.10.2005), Linux 2.6.12.
>
> In fact I need this functionality (subordinates + relay + suffixmassage)
> rather urgently; so I'll probably continue investigating this on my own,
> but any information and useful tips are welcome. I'll ask you OpenLDAP
> developers please to estimate whether it would be easier to fix this
> instability issue or to focus at that "nasty interaction" between
> backglue and local rwm, filed as ITS#3971.

Sounds like you're hitting some dead end.  I'm not sure I got all the back
references you mention, but in your case it would be much easier if you
can get rid of the gluing and deal with virtual databases only.  This is
because back-relay needs per-database rwm, while gluing currently allows
rwm only as global, i.e. before any gluing takes place.

Note that with your current setup you would end up, by running a search
for "ou=Domains", with 10+ instances of the __same__ data with different
virtual naming contexts.  Are you sure this is really what you need?  If
all you need is the capability to see the same data when searching with
different naming contexts, you should omit the common root and the
subordinate directives, and move rwm inside each back-relay instance.

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it