Re: OpenLDAP with PostgreSQL backend, berkley just don't work for me.

On 9/19/05, Buchan Milne <bgmilne@staff.telkomsa.net> wrote:
> On Saturday 17 September 2005 18:25, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm about to do some tests with PostgreSQL backend, I just can't keep
> > the berkley work find.
>
> If you can't configure the most commonly used backend to work reliably ...

What can I say........ It have never worked right for me :( , I have
read a lot and do lots of tests, without success.

> > This is my DB_CONFIG , and it just keeps
> > crashing, with very low load and a small directory:
> >
> > set_cachesize 0 33554432 1
> > set_lg_regionmax 262144
> > set_lg_bsize 2097152
> > #set_lg_dir /var/log/bdb
> > #
> > # Automatically remove log files that are no longer needed.
> > set_flags DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE
> > # Just use these settings when doing slapadd...
> > #set_flags DB_TXN_NOSYNC
> > #set_flags DB_TXN_NOT_DURABLE
> >
> > So, I decided to give a try to postgres backend, and I would like to
> > hear any experiencies you may have with it.
> >
> > I'm usign db-4.2.52, and openldap 2.2.28.  With very little load, at
> > one moment the slapd just go to 99% processor use (it still works, but
> > it happend), and then I just kill it (signal 9, signal 15 doesn't kill
> > it) and run db4.2_recover and it starts working just fine for another
> > day or so.  This far, I have not had any data loss, but it is annoying
> > to see 100% CPU using all the day.
>
> How many entries do you have in your database (DB_CONFIG entries aren't that
> useful without an idea of your database size)? Have you looked at the output
> of db_stat -m? Are all attributes used in search filters indexed?

Not much, about 20 including all objects (it is a test setup), and it
have almost no load at all, about 1 to 10 requests per minute (just
me, testing stuff).

I used to have:

index   default         eq

in my slapd conf, in addition to the indexes for other fields, like:

index   gecos   eq,sub,approx
index   phpgwContactOwner pres,eq,sub
index   uidNumber,gidNumber     pres,eq
(many more)

but I removed the index   default         eq just to test... off
course, it didnd worked (as I suspected).

> Anyway, my experience with the bdb backend is that it has been stable ... but
> you might have other circumstances (so, you may want to give more
> information).

I have read that many, many times, but It just doesn't work for me. :(

What other information do you need?

Ildefonso Camargo