Re: syncrepl w/ 2.3 and bdb 4.3 working great

Dusty Doris wrote:

The problems I had with BDB 4.3 (21 & 27) were related to data loading via slapadd (and the use of IN-MEMORY logs). The "-q" function in 2.3 removes the necessity of the IN-MEMORY logs. The other issues seen in 21 & 27 were reported by other people, and may well have been resolved in 4.3.28.

I did run into some snags testing openldap 2.3.7 w/ syncprov.c from HEAD and BDB 4.2 or 4.3 today when using hdb as the backend.

When I initially start up the slapd, it starts no problem. But then
something happens during the initial search that takes some time. If I do
an initial single search and wait for the response, it takes about 10
seconds and then each search after that point is immediate.

The problem is if I start a bunch of searches when the initial load up
happens. In my case the searches are generated from a radius server
and they are aborted after a few seconds. The slapd process slowly creeps
up over 100% when running top and I get a bunch of these in the logs

Funny you should mention this. Quanah and I just spent the last couple days profiling / benchmarking back-hdb. While hdb's write performance is better than bdb's, its search performance was terrible. Profiling identified a couple of bottlenecks that I have now rewritten, and back-hdb search performance is now as fast as or faster than back-bdb (in CVS HEAD - over a 4x speedup vs 2.3.7). We still have more benchmarks to run, but you might want to test the current CVS HEAD and see how it behaves with your data.

--
 -- Howard Chu