"Protocol error" on ldap_simple_bind_s

Hello,
I am making an LDAP client using OpenLDAP's libldap[1], I run ldap_open, which
returns a pointer and when I run ldap_simple_bind_s, I get that error:
"Protocol error".
I remember reading somewhere that the API defaulted to LDAPv2 while the server
is running LDAPv3, but I can't find that anymore.
Any help as to what is going wrong is appretiated.
--
Pupeno <pupeno@pupeno.com> (http://pupeno.com)
Vendo: Placa de video: Asus GeForce FX 5200 (128MB):

[1] In fact, I am making a libldap wrapper for Scheme (a Lisp) and writting
the client on Scheme (something I have not even started yet).