Re: SUMMARY: Re: cachesize does not exceed 1000 entries

--On Saturday, September 03, 2005 7:12 AM +0530 Sameer N Ingole <strike@proscrutiny.com> wrote:

Robert Petkus wrote:

Folks,
I finally found the problem after much frustration --> Solaris.  Once
I tried the same query on Linux and was able to retrieve >1000 entries
I figured the problem was with the ldap client on Solaris.
Looking in the logs, Solaris was using paged results from back-bdb.
When doing an ldap query that consults nss_ldap such as "finger",
libsldap.so is hard-coded with a LISTPAGESIZE of 1000 (see
http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/usr/src/lib/libsldap/common/ns_in
ternal.h).   I grabbed source for libldap from openSolaris.org,
increased the  pagesize limit, and hacked it so it would work on Solaris
9 and lo and  behold it worked -- I was able to to retrieve >1000
entries.

However, I didn't feel comfortable putting my hacked libraries on
production Solaris servers so I stripped all the pagedresults controls
from back-bdb/search.c and this worked, too, with default Solaris.
This is how I'm going to leave the system for now.
Is it possible to request greater freedom over these controls (e.g.,
pagedresults) in a future version of openldap?

Yes, file an ITS. Request feature. Refer to Openldap web site. http://www.openldap.org/its/

Regards,

I fail to see how filing an ITS is going to fix a hard coded limit in the Solaris code. If the Solaris code is quite clearly requesting a control, and limiting it to 1k entries, then OpenLDAP is simply doing what as requested of it. There is no bug in the OpenLDAP code here, so really no issue to file an ITS about. Solaris is what is broken. What essentially is being asked here is to tell OpenLDAP to *ignore* a requested control, which would be very broken behavior.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer