Re: Problem finding telephonenumber in a plain numeric search when number is stored with special characters

--On Monday, August 29, 2005 11:22 AM -0700 Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

Peter Marschall wrote:
On Monday, 29. August 2005 17:00, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:

Pierangelo Masarati writes:

You may have noted on your dialer those letters written in tiny
fonts on the digit keys... ;)

The translation table is (at least on the phones that I have seen so far ;-): abc -> 2 def -> 3 ghi -> 4 jkl -> 5 mno -> 6 pqrs -> 7 tuv -> 8 wxyz -> 9

The translation is done automagically by pressing the button with the
letter  engraved.
It is mostly used for vanity numbers.

The North American standard actually omits 'q' and 'z'; 7 is just "prs"
and 9 is just "wxy". I've seen some phones put "qz" on the 0 key, but
that was never part of the standard. There's a good overview of keypad
layouts here:

http://ourwebhome.com/TENP/Historical.html

Look for the entry from * Mark J Cuccia, Sat, 2 Nov 1996*

Hm, every cell phone I've had in the last 7 years has pqrs on 7, and wxyz on 9. So do both my land line phones. At this point, I'd say this has become the de facto standard. I do recall "qz" on the 0 key back in the early 90's, but as noted, it didn't last.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer