Re: Filter proxies?

> Dear All,
>
> please excuse the ignorance if I'm asking either a FAQ or stupid question.
>
> My employer has an ldap directory and they've /broken/ it
>
> Everyone's email address has no domain!
> Everyone's name has commas in them
>
> So:
>
> "Craig Emery" <cemery@domain.com>
>
> comes out:
>
> Emery, Craig <cemery>
>
> Now this causes no end of issues for Thunderbird.
>
> Comma is the recipient delimiter so with the above example an email can
> get sent to both "Emery" and "Craig <cemery>"
>
> So the question is this:
>
> are there any proxies that can munge the data retrieved from another
> directory and "fix" anything like this?
>
> If not, should I move over to openldap-devel and ask about writing one
> (I'm a software engineer)?

The question is not stupid, although I'd first answer "fix the database".
Stock OpenLDAP cannot do that; it does something similar with the
slapo-rwm(5) overlay (OpenLDAP 2.3; in OpenLDAP 2.2 that feature is
embedded in the proxy backend but the behavior is essentially analogous),
but only DN valued attributes can be munged.  Since you're a software
engineer you could write a (trivial!) overlay (overlays are supported also
in 2.2) that intercepts search entry responses and rewrites any occurence
of the "mail" attribute as required.  I think it wouldn't be more than few
dozens lines of code.

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati