Re: ldap newbie again

Hardik Dalwadi wrote:
> Hello payal,
>
> It's very nice that u want to jump again in OpenLdap.
> Best way to start OpenLdap as a stand alone is to compile it manually
> from source.

With regards to which aspects of maintaining a secure, consistent,
supported linux distribution running an LDAP server?

> Get the source from OpenLdap.org
> <http://www.openldap.org/software/download/>
> untar it in some good location like /usr/local/src
> Go in to /usr/local/src/openldap-2.2.26 and run below command.
> <This is my settings>
> mkdir /var/ldap
> mkdir /var/ldap/sbin
> ./configure --prefix=/var/ldap \
>            --libexecdir=/var/ldap/sbin \
>            --with-tls --enable-aci \
>            --enable-modules --enable-slapi \
>            --enable-slp --disable-bdb \
>            --enable-ldbm --with-ldbm-api=gdbm \
>            --enable-dgngroup --enable-proxy-cache \
>            --enable-crypt
>

> You need some extra packages for that, i think u can download it from net.

Or, install those provided by the distro, to avoid potential bugs in
slight version/configure differences.

> Then<makedep && make && make install && make test>
> If make test run successfully then your open ldap is running successfully.
> Now u can find slapd.conf in /var/ldap/etc/openldap/
>
> Change in
> database "ldbm"

bdb is the recommended backend in 2.2.x.

> suffix  "yourdomain.com"
> rootdn "cn=admin,ou=people,dc=yourdomain,dc=com"
> rootpw admin
>
> Now go to  /var/ldap/sbin/
>
> ./slapd -d1
>

> You can see junk of log and at last line slapd starting.
> That's it enjoy...
>
> Best doc for OpenLdap is
> <http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin23/quickstart.html>
> <http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin23/>
>
> If you have any Q? regarding this revert me back.

Maybe keeping the thread on the mailing list would be a better idea?

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Buchan Milne                      Senior Support Technician
Obsidian Systems                  http://www.obsidian.co.za
B.Eng          RHCE (803004789010797),LPIC-1 (LPI000074592)