Re: poor performance of OpenLDAP vs AD?

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

--On Wednesday, July 13, 2005 12:48 PM -0400 Igor Brezac <igor@ipass.net> wrote:

Benchmark that matters is the one you perform.

Yes and no. Certainly, taking at look at how things perform for what you plan to deploy can be quite useful.

However, if you set up your benchmarks where you document well what you did, and make sure that your configuration settings are public, you can set up benchmarks that others can duplicate, and can be agreed upon as indicative of real meaning. Certainly testing AD on a Pentium II with 1MB of RAM and OpenLDAP on a dual CPU 3.2 GHZ Xeon with 16GB of RAM wouldn't be a fair comparison. Qualitative statements about the general performance of any set of given Directory Servers can be made if you make everything "the same" as much as is feasibly possible.

I do not see this being realistic. You have fallen short in this regard with your Symas benchmarks. Yes, benchmark results can be used as a general performance indicator, but one should not assume that their ldap deployment will perform the same. We all have our own requirements, different machines, schema, data set size, indexes, etc., and more than likely they are different than what is used in benchmarks.

-Igor

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Product Engineer Symas Corporation Packaged, certified, and supported LDAP solutions powered by OpenLDAP: <http://www.symas.com>

-- Igor