Re: poor performance of OpenLDAP vs AD?

--On Wednesday, July 13, 2005 2:49 PM +0200 Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@interia.pl> wrote:

Recently, when planning to deploy a directory server, I was confronted
with someone claiming that OpenLDAP performs poorly, when compared to
Active Directory, and thus, we should choose AD.

I tried looking through the web, found some benchmarks, but didn't find
a definite answer to that problem.

Do you have some material / links that compare the two directory
servers, OpenLDAP and AD, in terms of performance?

I have no specific performance numbers for AD, however I would note that the only study I know comparing the two was done against OpenLDAP 2.0, and is extremely out of date. The newer releases of OpenLDAP are hundreds of times faster than the 2.0 release when configured properly.

<http://www.symas.com/benchmark.shtml>

has some more recent numbers, and we are working on a more comprehensive set of benchmarks.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Product Engineer