Re: upgrade problems, can't query

Tyler Retzlaff wrote:
 Actually, no I did a package upgrade with the expectation I wasn't
 going to have to do any work.  I've just done the slapcat export
 slapadd import and its resolved the problems I encountered.

 Is it standard procedure to do this whenever upgrading to a newer
 version without question?

http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/842.html Yes it is a standard procedure.

 Or is it a matter of sometimes you have
 to, sometimes you don't?

The version numbers are of the form MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH. Generally within releases of the same MAJOR.MINOR version number you do not need to reload the database. (There may be special exceptions. I don't recall that there has ever been any.)

Note that this is merely speaking from the OpenLDAP source code perspective. When you get a binary package from a 3rd party, you should check with the package provider. If the underlying database libraries change from version to version, you will need to reload then as well.

--
 -- Howard Chu