Re: upgrade problems, can't query

On 06/07/2005, at 11:31 AM, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:

Tyler Retzlaff writes:

After some experimentation with taking a subset of ldif's out of a
slave (which hasn't been upgraded) and basing the new master (which
has been upgraded) database on them we've discovered that it's some
kind of incompatibility with the data itself.  Should the data not
have been forward compatible with the newer version of openldap?

OpenLDAP 2.0 accepted a number of bugs in the data which newer versions
reject. Also, you might note that slapadd to some degree expects
correct data and accepts some bugs that are caught if you add them over
the protocol (e.g. with ldapadd).

Um, you did use 2.0 to dump the data to an LDIF file and import that
into 2.1, instead of just moving the database files directly?

Actually, no I did a package upgrade with the expectation I wasn't going to
have to do any work. I've just done the slapcat export slapadd import
and its resolved the problems I encountered.

Is it standard procedure to do this whenever upgrading to a newer version
without question? Or is it a matter of sometimes you have to, sometimes
you don't?

BTW, while you are fiddling with upgrades anyway you might prepare for a
change in 2.2: Values in access control values no longer have regex
syntax by default. So if you have things like 'access to dn=^uid=.* ...'
it pays to change that to dn.regex=^uid=.*.

Thanks, I'l look out for that when the time comes.

Thanks all, the help was appreciated.

-- Hallvard Don't anthropomorphize computers. They hate that.