slapd/slurpd sporadic replication

Hello,

I recently installed and got replication working between two servers.
Our database is very small, and is currently in test mode.  Therfore,
we do not have a lot of read writes.  Just me in my testing.

I have noticed something very strange however with the replication
process.  When I issue a modification to the master server, for about
an hour or so after starting slapd/slurpd on master, the changes
replicate just fine.  Sometime thereafter though replications just
stop working.  Occasionally it will start working again.

It should also be noted that the time stamp on the master-slapd.replog
is changing to the time I execute the ldapmodify.  The length of the
file is 0 however.

I googled this issue and saw that there were two or three other people
experiencing the same problem back in 2001, but there were follow ups
to those posts.

Has anyone seen this before, know what causes it, or what I can do to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

- Brent Franks